John Marcotte, founder of Heroic Girls, challenges the audience to look beyond what is labeled as “girly” or “feminine” to explore how such labels limit the potential of future generations.
The talk includes a clip from an earlier Heroic Girls video, Anya and Stella vs. Action Figures.
Studies and Research Cited
- Cuddy, Amy J.C., Caroline A. Wilmuth, and Dana R. Carney. “The Benefit of Power Posing Before a High-Stakes Social Evaluation.” Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 13- 027, September 2012.
- Aurora M. Sherman, Eileen L. Zurbriggen. “ ‘Boys Can Be Anything’: Effect of Barbie Play on Girls’ Career Cognitions.” Sex Roles, Volume 70, Issue 5-6, pp 195-208, March 2014
- Sweet, Elizabeth. “Toys Are More Divided by Gender Now Than They Were 50 Years Ago.” The Atlantic. 2014.
- Chase Magnett. “Ms. Marvel Tops the October Sales Charts (Because Ms. Marvel is Amazing).” Comicbook.com. Nov. 17, 2014.
- Gabe Toro. “Guardians Of The Galaxy Did Better With Women Than Any Other Marvel Movie.” CinemaBlend, August 2014
Well Done! My 2 year old son diapered his storm trooper a few days ago. It was awesome!!!
Thanks, Amy! Good to hear from you again.
Bravo, John! So glad to hear your TED talk. You nailed it!
A fantastic TEDx talk, thank you! Shared on fb and Twitter 🙂
Comments are closed.