Heroic Girls hosted “Raising Heroic Girls” — it’s first-ever panel — at San Diego Comic-Con this year. The panel was a look at how heroic comics, movies, and toys can inspire girls to be more confident and successful by combatting harmful gender norms that can hold them back.
John Marcotte, founder of Heroic Girls., moderated the panel — but the bulk of the knowledge and experiences was provided by the women of the panel, including:
- Alaina Huffman (Supernatural, Smallville),
- Anya Marcotte (Heroic Girls)
- Audrey Kearns (Geek Girl Authority),
- Cassandra Pelham (senior editor at Graphix and Scholastic Press),
- Dr. Janina Scarlet (Superhero Therapy), and
- Jenna Busch (Stan Lee’s World of Heroes, Legion of Leia)
(Janina’s son Hunter also contributed some valuable insight. but I didn’t think he would appreciate being called one of “the women of the panel” — just for accuracy’s sake.)
Thanks to Steve and Michele Blanchard, who shot the footage used above, and thanks to Ken Blanchard, who cleaned up the audio on that video and removed a horrible echo that was making it impossible to hear the speakers.