After teasing a cover that revealed Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) and Thor (Female Edition), Marvel Comics unveiled the entire line-up of the new Avengers team that will launch after the events of Secret Wars.
The full roster is:
- Thor — The new Thor will survive the Marvel Universe reboot and join the Avengers, arguably as their their most powerful member.
- Iron Man — For the sake of argument, we will stipulate that Tony Stark is in the suit.
- Captain America — The Falcon version of Captain America will also survive into the new era.
- The Vision — Everyone’s favorite android will receive a big boost from his presence in Avengers: Age of Ultron, so it’s great to see him back in the comics.
- Ms. Marvel — Kamala Khan has been a surprise breakout hit for Marvel, and they look to both capitalize on the Pakistani-American teen’s popularity, and cement it firmly in place by having her join their premier superhero team.
- Spider-Man (Miles Morales) — Miles Morales is a Spider-Man from another universe where Peter Parker died at the hands of the Green Goblin. He is younger than the Peter Parker of our universe.
- Nova — The latest member of the intergalactic police force “The Nova Corps.”
Roughly half of this team has been labeled “controversial” by a small segment of the comics community that believes that comics are being changed in order to suit a progressive political agenda.
They hate that Thor is now a woman, that Captain America is black, that Ms. Marvel is Muslim and that the Miles Morales Spider-Man is half black and half Latino.
Putting all of these heroes on their premier team is a clear sign that Marvel is more interested in reaching out to new fans and new audiences than to catering to the demands of an ever shrinking and increasingly irrelevant conservative fan base that hates change.